Posting-Frequency: monthly (first Friday)
Maintainer: firstname.lastname@example.org (Mike Oliver)
TCP/IP Frequently Asked Questions
Table of Contents
This is the Table of Contents for the Frequently Asked Questions
(FAQ) list for the comp.protocols.tcp-ip
Usenet newsgroup. The FAQ provides answers to a selection of common
questions on the various protocols (IP, TCP, UDP, ICMP and others)
that make up the TCP/IP protocol suite. It is posted to the news.answers, comp.answers
newsgroups on or about the first Friday of every month.
The FAQ is posted in two parts. Part 1 contains answers to
general questions and questions that concern the fundamental components
of the suite. Part 2 contains answers to questions concerning
common applications that depend on the TCP/IP suite for their
Comments on this document can be emailed to the FAQ maintainer
FAQ Part 1: Introduction and Fundamental Protocols
- Where can I find an up-to-date
copy of this FAQ?
- Who wrote this FAQ?
- What is TCP/IP?
- How is TCP/IP defined?
- Where can I find RFC's?
- How do I find the right RFC?
- What is IP?
- How is IP carried on a network?
- Does IP Protect Data on the
- What is ARP?
- What is IPv6?
- What happened to IPv5?
- What is the 6bone?
- What is the MBONE?
- What is IPsec?
- What is TCP?
- How does TCP try to avoid
- How do applications coexist over
TCP and UDP?
- Where do I find assigned port
- What is UDP?
- What is ICMP?
- How can I measure the performance
of an IP link?
- What IP addresses should I
assign to machines on a private internet?
- Can I set up a gateway to the
Internet that translates IP addresses, so that I don't have to
change all our internal addresses to an official network?
- Can I use a single bit subnet?
- Where can I find TCP/IP
- Where can I find TCP/IP application
- Where can I find IPv6 source
- What newsgroups deal with
- Are there any good books on TCP/IP?
FAQ Part 2 -- Applications and Application Programming
- X Window System
- What are sockets?
- How can I detect that
the other end of a TCP connection has crashed?
- Can TCP keepalive timeouts
- Are there object-oriented network
This compilation contains the opinions of the FAQ maintainer
and the various FAQ contributors. Any resemblance to the opinions
of the FAQ maintainer's employer is entirely coincidental.
Copyright (C) Mike Oliver 1997-1999. All Rights Reserved.