USB port locking software protects your devices against malware that tries to infect them through USB ports. With remote attacks becoming more popular, this may sound like an attack avenue from the past. But nothing could be further from the truth.
The expectation that attacks will come from a predictable source leads to many firms being targeted in unexpected ways. In some cases, attacks through USB ports are rather simple to carry out, and malicious agents will not pass up such opportunities.
Here is our list of the best USB Port Locking tools:
- ThreatLocker Storage Control EDITOR’S CHOICE This cloud-based system automatically blocks the USB ports on all of the computers on a network and then enables a system administrator to permit specific USB devices to connect. Get access to a free demo account.
- ManageEngine Device Control Plus This package is able to identify, block, or permit many types of devices that connect to computers through USB ports. Runs on Windows Server.
- Gilisoft USB Lock This DLP system controls external disks, DVD drives, and other peripherals as well as memory sticks and can also impose URL blocks to prevent infection or uploads. Needs to be installed on each computer and runs on Windows.
- NewSoftwares USB Block This package blocks USB ports by default and then allows the computer owner to permit specific devices to attach. Controls the Windows PC on which it runs.
- Endpoint Protector Device Control This system reaches across a network to control the ports on multiple computers from one central console. Controls computers running Windows, macOS, and Linux through a cloud-based console.
- SysTools USB Blocker This tool manages the USB ports of the Windows PC on which it is installed and it creates a username and password for port blocking and unlocking.
- BuduLock This free tool for Windows enables you to set a password for access to any folder on your computer or on an attached peripheral. Lock the root directory of a USB stick to lock the whole device.
- USB Disk Manager This free USB device control for Windows can block all USB peripherals or just prevent certain actions, such as AutoRun.
- USB Drive Disabler Block all USB devices from connecting to your computer’s files system and then decide to enable them with this free tool for Windows.
The Best USB Port Locking Tools
Below, are our top eight picks for the best USB port locking tools for both small and large organizations.
ThreatLocker Storage Control applies security measures to USB ports and also other storage devices. The system implements a “deny all” strategy. So, all USB ports are blocked. However, they are still responsive, so the port is aware whenever a device is connected – it isn’t completely crippled.
The main features of ThreatLocker Storage Control are:
- A default block on all USB devices
- An alert when a device is inserted
- Notification to the system administrator
- Options to allow specific devices
- Activity logging
Some devices can be approved for use. The permission will apply to a specific user, which creates extra security measures. Each USB stick can be identified by its serial number and this ID is used in the access rights management service that is built into the ThreatLocker system.
The permission for a device to attach can be revoked. A USB can also be allocated for use by multiple users and that allocation can be altered. The ThreatLocker system is a cloud platform. System administrators set up security policies in the console, which can be accessed through a Web page. This interface also controls all of the other modules on the ThreatLocker platform.
ThreatLocker also provides protection for files of sensitive data held on servers and it can block all software from running or accessing data stores. You can examine the full ThreatLocker system by accessing a free demo account.
ThreatLocker Storage Control is our top pick for a USB port locking tool because it offers a more sophisticated approach to USB port management than just straightforward blocking. A central console enables the system administrator to control all USB ports on all the computers owned through the business through automated processes. All USB ports are instructed to block devices from attaching by default and then the administrator selectively approves specific devices, identified by serial numbers. A device can be approved for use on one computer or many and can also be tied to a specific user account.
Official Site: https://portal.threatlocker.com/signup.aspx
2. ManageEngine Device Control Plus
The ManageEngine Device Control Plus program prevents data loss by allowing you to control and monitor your system’s peripheral devices (including USB). This utility is your best chance for ensuring the safety of your USB ports if you don’t mind paying for a solution.
Its main features include:
- A user interface that is both intuitive and modern.
- Over 18 different device types are detected.
- You won’t have to waste time staring at the dashboard thanks to a powerful notifications system.
- It’s simple to create high-quality reports to share with your team thanks to the extensive reporting options.
- Remote file action tracking aids in the prevention of data loss, viruses, and other unwanted behavior on your devices.
- Customer service is outstanding.
The tool contains several options that allow you to completely customize your experience. It also has a very user-friendly interface, which makes it much easier to use than most products of this caliber. It’s an excellent tool to have regardless of your company’s size because it’s easily scalable.
It can automatically recognize over 18 distinct device kinds and categorize each one into one of three categories: Blocked, Allowed, or Trusted. It’s simple to create and alter regulations that devices must follow for you to view or transfer files.
In addition to totally locking a USB port, the utility can also partially prevent access to it. With its zero-trust approach, you can also verify that any drives entering your devices are inspected first.
However, for those looking for a simple USB port locking solution, the program may be a little too feature-rich. You’ll need to contact the provider for a price quote; however, there is a 30-day free trial available to assist your decision.
3. GiliSoft USB Lock
The GiliSoft USB Lock is designed to lock USB ports, but it can also identify and block other peripheral devices. Whether it’s a phone, SD card, or USB, the GiliSoft USB Lock will detect its presence and prevent it from communicating with your device if a threat is detected.
Its main features are:
- Smartphones, USBs, and SD cards are among the peripheral devices that are blocked.
- Prevents discs from being read or burned.
- Allows you to view the history of USB activities.
- It can run in the background in invisible mode.
- Allows you to keep an eye on things from afar.
The tool provides several other capabilities, including the ability to restrict optical discs from being read or burned, the option to block websites and apps from communicating with your devices, and the ability to see all USB activity history.
If someone tries to access the tool and enters the wrong password, the tool will send you an email. It will also allow you to whitelist select devices so that you don’t have to input the password every time you plug in a USB drive.
Nobody will be able to copy your files to an unapproved device thanks to its copy protection feature. Another great feature is the app’s invisible mode, which allows it to function in the background without being discovered.
A powerful self-protection option is also included in the tool, which prevents anyone without necessary credentials from entering the device’s password. If an erroneous password is entered five times, for example, alarms are sent and the login session is temporarily blocked.
Having said that, there is a learning curve with the tool. Its user interface can be a little perplexing for non-technical people. The tool is free for a month and then costs $59.99.
4. NewSoftwares USB Block
NewSoftwares’ USB Block is one of the simplest USB port locking applications available, allowing you to prevent data leaks and external hardware from interfering with your operations. Furthermore, the utility can prevent external storage devices from accessing your data, preventing disturbance.
Its main features are:
- Stealth mode makes it appear as if you aren’t using the tool at all.
- You can add approved devices to a whitelist.
- You can use the tool to see if your computer has been subjected to any illicit activity.
- Excellent user interface that is also quite light.
When an unlawful USB device, CD, DVD, or other similar storage media connects to your computer, the utility prompts you for a password. After that, USB Block will no longer copy your data or copyrighted material to another device unless you explicitly authorize it. You can also use the tool to restrict network access. You can, for example, disable Wi-Fi, Ethernet, Map Network Drives, and other methods that allow hostile actors to gain access to your device’s Run command.
The app uses multi-layered patent-pending protection that works at the kernel level of Windows and prevents all unwanted devices from accessing your device, even if it’s in Safe Mode. It has a stealth mode, and it will wipe all shortcuts from your device and disguise the fact that you’re running a USB Block, just like the GiliSoft.
Unauthorized Uninstall, Invalid Password, and Program Deletion are the three types of hacking attempts tracked by NewSoftwares. The username, date, and time of the effort are all displayed in each of them. You may also create an authorized list to ensure that your drives are identified and trusted right away.
However, the tool lacks some of the capability of more advanced solutions, and the $49.95 price tag is a bit high. There is, however, a limited-functionality version available for testing.
5. EndPoint Protector Device Control
EndPoint Protector Device Control is an award-winning DLP (Data Loss Prevention) tool that focuses on endpoints. Although it isn’t strictly a port locking tool, we believed it deserved to be included on this list. Furthermore, the utility is cross-platform, working with macOS, Linux, Windows, and Thin Clients.
Its main features are:
- You only receive the functionality you desire with modular software.
- Excellent customer service, with response times of roughly 24 hours.
- Web-based dashboard with a central location
- It’s possible to lock ports on many devices at the same time.
The tool is intended to serve as a one-stop shop for preventing data loss. The company’s objective is to enable organizations all around the world to take full advantage of the mobility and portability that has become available in recent years without losing security.
EndPoint Protector is modular software, which means you can buy many modules and have them all work as a single unit. The Device Control module, for example, is the EndPoint Protector’s port locking utility, and it controls peripheral and USB ports. It also offers modules to secure data in transit, such as the Content-Aware Protection module.
In addition to ensuring that you comply with data protection standards such as HIPAA, CCPA, GDPR, and others, the solution enables content filtering for data at rest and in motion. The program guarantees that your ports are safe from unauthorized intrusion.
It will prevent unauthorized USBs from copying data, as well as allow you to whitelist select devices so you aren’t continuously prompted for passwords. Its web-based central dashboard gives you a comprehensive overview of the health of your ports as well as past data to assist you to gain a better understanding of your security.
6. Systools USB Blocker
You can quickly block and unblock USB ports on your devices with the SysTools USB Blocker. Even if you aren’t technically inclined, the UI is basic and easy to master. If you’re searching for a tool that combines an easy-to-learn interface with a few complex functions that won’t confuse you, this is a great option.
Its main features are:
- All Windows installations are supported.
- Extremely user-friendly and simple to use
- File copying and tampering are not possible.
- Most external devices are disabled.
- You can lock several devices’ ports at the same time.
It will disable external devices such as flash drives, pen drives, external hard drives, and so on. It also allows you to create a timetable for locking and unlocking your ports. In addition to the user’s password, you’ll need the tool’s password to lock or unlock USB ports.
However, some more advanced features, such as alarms, might elevate a tool. The lack of capabilities like this is the most significant limitation of the program making it better for smaller organizations. The utility is available in three different licenses, with the personal version costing $29 and the Business version costing $199.
BuduLock, a free program from Mouse Click Enterprises, protects any folder on your computer with a password. Although this is its principal function, it can also lock USB ports and force password entry if a USB device tries to communicate with your machine. It doesn’t disable USBs; thus, your USBs will still operate on systems that don’t have them.
Its main features include:
- The most straightforward tool on this list.
- Entirely free of charge.
- Can lock and unlock folders in addition to USB drives.
Folder Lock and Flash Drive Lock are the two main tabs on the tool. This offers it a level of extreme simplicity that is impossible to duplicate. The Folder Lock tab displays a list of your system’s discs as well as a simple tree view for selecting folders. There are two large buttons as well: Unlock and Lock.
This is perhaps the most straightforward tool on the list, putting simplicity ahead of complicated functionality or even a beautiful user interface. The Flash Drive Lock tab has a similar format and is very user-friendly. You won’t need to read a tutorial because the tool is basic enough for those of us who aren’t technically inclined.
This simplicity, however, comes at a price. The user interface is unappealing, the product lacks sophisticated features, and it is difficult to scale. If you’re searching for a tool for your business, this isn’t it. However, for personal usage, it might still be a useful tool.
8. USB Disk Manager
The USB Disk Manager is another lightweight USB port protection program that assures that all of your USB ports are safe from malware and bad actors’ operations. This tool offers a few unique characteristics that set it different from the competition.
Its main features are:
- It is completely free.
- Exceptionally light.
- Simple to use.
- Installs itself on your USB drives automatically.
- With that stated, the user interface might use some work, and the tool lacks more advanced capabilities for when you’ve become used to it.
It offers AutoCopy features that automatically install USB Disk Manager as a portable application on your USB drives, ensuring that you never lose it. It also features an Autorun mode, which means it will start up with the rest of your system automatically.
All users attempting to copy files to or from untrusted USB devices will be blocked by the utility. It can also completely hide gadgets from your device, as well as prevent them from executing any applications while plugged in.
It will also prevent existing programs or malware from accessing your USB devices if you don’t permit it. Despite being free, this program provides everything you need in a simple USB port locking solution.
9. USB Drive Disabler
USB Drive Disabler is a compact, portable program aimed mostly toward businesses. Its corporate focus allows it to tailor its UI and features to an enterprise-level environment without sacrificing speed for home users or small businesses.
Its main features are:
- Designed specifically for businesses.
- Has a silent mode that prevents consumers from realizing their device has been restricted.
- When someone tries to access a blocked port, Alert Mode will notify you.
- At the same time, lock ports on numerous devices.
- Administrators can even be barred from using the ports.
The utility comes with a customizable alert system. Unlike other tools that will notify you after a certain number of failed tries, this one allows you to choose when you want to be notified. Its Alert Mode will also notify you if you make an unsuccessful attempt or put a disc into a blocked port.
You can also lock ports to several devices at once if you have administrative capabilities. This is particularly beneficial when defending against a well-coordinated attack. You can also restrict all users so that not even administrators have access to the ports if administrator access has been hacked.
Having said that, the tool’s appearance is somewhat outdated. Although it performs admirably in the current environment, the tool is no longer maintained, and it may become obsolete in a few years.
Choosing the best tool for you is, as usual, based on your requirements. Before you commit to any of these technologies, think about what you and your company need to gain out of them. BuduLock can be the option for you if all you need is a simple tool to lock ports.
The Endpoint Protector Device Control can be the right choice for you if you’re searching for a modular solution to endpoint DLP. As a result, we’ve tried to keep our top few options as adaptable as possible. We chose tools that would be useful to you regardless of your business climate or the functionality you require. However, inspecting the features of any new software you intend to utilize in your organization is always worthwhile.