Secure, efficient, and fast collaboration is a must in the modern office setup. Even before COVID-19 made remote work the norm, the business environment was evolving to become more accepting of remote workers. The seven best Citrix ShareFile alternatives we are about to see are indispensable tools that have proven tracks in catering to both businesses’ and users’ needs for security, collaboration, and location independence at the office.
Here is our list of the best Citrix ShareFile:
- SolarWinds Serv-U Managed File Transfer Server (FREE TRIAL) A heavy-duty file sharing solution that any business can rely on; it is fast, secure, and easy to manage, thus, allowing administrators to have full control over their data storage and sharing.
- Files.com A file-sharing solution that covers the whole stack; it is cloud-based but has apps that cater to any device and offers high-speed file transfers.
- Dropbox An easy-to-use cloud storage and sharing solution; it is a secure platform that can be accessed using any connected device.
- FileCloud A reliable and secure Citrix ShareFile contender that fits into any network architecture without the need for additional configuration or costs.
- Zoho WorkDrive Another popular file-sharing solution that caters to small businesses and enterprises alike; it can integrate with other Zoho solutions for a better productivity effect.
- Google Drive for Work This comes by way of a leader in the tech industry that offers integration with many other Google productivity tools; it is a secure and efficient file sharing solution that has a familiar user interface making it easy to use and master.
- Egnyte A solution that can be implemented on-premises or in the cloud; it has a centralized control center for seamless collaboration – regardless of location – that is fast and efficient.
What is Citrix ShareFile?
Before we look at the alternatives, we need to know what Citrix ShareFile is.
Citrix ShareFile is a software solution that is used to share and sync files to facilitate easy collaboration. It also offers secure cloud-hosted file storage and sharing.
Users can access files from anywhere and never have to worry about syncing their changes as it is done automatically.
What are the advantages of using Citrix ShareFile?
Businesses that implement Citrix ShareFile can expect benefits that include:
- Saving on costs for hardware, overhead, and management of local file storage and server solutions.
- Increased security – the software providers take care of the security of the clients’ data on their servers. This is undertaken by professionals that have made it their bread and butter.
- Adoption of the latest technology – businesses don’t need to worry about updating their soft- and hardware assets. Because, here too, the service provider makes sure they are updated and patched to mitigate any security risks.
- An integrated architecture – ShareFile works with cloud storage as well as existing on-premises storage solutions. It can run in both domains and unite them.
- Businesses that opt for the Enterprise version can implement advanced and secure document workflows that offer features like feedback, approval, and collaboration.
- The Enterprise version also caters to virtualized desktops which, in turn, allows for more flexibility and security.
Try Citrix ShareFile for FREE.
What features make for the best Citrix ShareFile alternative?
For a software solution to be considered a better or competitive alternative it should have some features that include:
- Ease-of-use From installation or implementation to running and administration should be easy and uncomplicated.
- Flexibility A solution is always best if there are more than one ways it can be implemented. The users shouldn’t have to sacrifice assets to install a solution.
- Integration Similarly, the tool should be able to integrate into any modern network infrastructure with ease and with no extra configuration required.
- Progress and activity logs Stakeholders should be able to keep track of documents that are in process as well as who is working on them.
- Communication and alerts The tool needs to let whoever is responsible know that their attention is required for tasks; the alerts could also be triggered by illegal or suspicious activities.
- Security At no time should the users, the documents or media they share – or even the network – be compromised due to misconfiguration or access errors.
- Data size Users shouldn’t have to worry about their data or files being too large to be carried by the tool.
- Price A positive ROI is always a must; better yet, it would even be better if there were free options that could perform as well as, or even better than, premium competitors.
The seven best Citrix ShareFile alternatives we are about to see, have been measured against this list of features and been found to be having most, if not all, of them.
The 7 best Citrix ShareFile Alternatives
And so, without further ado, here are the seven best Citrix ShareFile alternatives:
SolarWinds Serv-U Managed File Transfer Server (Serv-U MFT) is an on-premise collaboration solution from one of the leading makers of server and network solutions providers.
Some more features include:
- Serv-U MFT was built to cater to large files. It can encrypt large files – it can handle files that are of 3GB and over in size.
- Everything from file transfer to user management is done with simple drag-and-drop actions – it is easy to use and master.
- Access control is supported with the help of certificates and permissions to allow for more secure access for users, groups, and domains to ensure unauthorized users don’t pry into stuff they are not supposed to.
- Serv-U FTP helps with resource management – for example, although it lets users send multiple files at once, it also allows businesses to limit the number of maximum sessions allowed on the server to stop bandwidth hogging.
- Administrators can track and administer file transfers by monitoring sessions in real-time and accessing transfer statistics.
- Serv-U FTP works on the most popular operating systems including Windows, Linux, Fedora, Ubuntu, CentOS, and OpenSUSE.
Businesses can share and transfer their files using FTP and FTPS protocols quickly and easily using their web and mobile devices.
You can try SolarWinds Serv-U Managed File Transfer Server (Serv-U MFT) through a free and fully functional 14-day trial.
Files.com is a full-stack solution that runs on cloud-based servers. It comes with desktop, mobile, and on-premise apps that come together to deliver a high-performing file transfer solution.
Some more features include:
- Productivity is enhanced with Microsoft Office apps like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint – thanks to Files.com being an official Office Cloud Storage Partner.
- Users that work with larger media files will be happy with high speeds of more than 100 Gbit capability and the support for files of up to 5TB in size – not many will be able to complain about performance.
- File-sharing can be done between both internal and external users; collaboration is easy and just takes selecting files and folders and clicking on a button to generate a secure link to be shared with all users.
- File and data security are ensured with industry-leading security capabilities that include encryption – at rest and while in transit – as well as multiple types of two-factor authentication and single-sign integrations.
- Full flexibility – Files.com comes as a desktop app for Windows and macOS, as well as mobile apps for iOS and Android.
It can integrate with popular cloud storage solutions like Google Cloud, Azure, and Amazon S3. It caters to other competing third-party storage solutions like Box, Dropbox, and Wasabi. Users can use any combination of these additions using Push, Pull, Sync, and Mount synchronization modes.
Try Files.com for FREE.
Dropbox is a cloud storage and sharing service that allows for the secure access of files and collaboration using any connected device – including mobile devices.
Some more features include:
- It is easy to use – sharing, managing tasks, syncing, and collaboration can be done with almost no effort required by users on any connected device – phones, tablets, or computers.
- Sharing can be done to give access to individual users as well as groups. They are all assigned roles and privileges to make sure no one can perform unauthorized actions.
- Dropbox keeps files secure by placing them behind multiple layers of protection. For example, expiration dates can be set to deny access to anyone after a certain amount of time has passed while current users can be forced to enter a passcode or request pass an email verification before they can access sensitive documents.
- But, users can also keep track of changes – and by who – when files are edited, moved, and deleted. All stakeholders are automatically alerted to changes made to their files.
- Users can work on files of any type – documents, media, and zipped folders – without having to worry about size limits; they can share files as large as their entire cloud storage space quotas.
- Various reports and audit trails help administrators stay informed on information like top-performing pages, completion times, average percentages of completion, and document versions. These reports can also be compared and tested for better performance analysis and in-depth insights.
Users can rest assured their files are secure, synced, and accessible from any device and share them with anyone – even if they don’t have a Dropbox account.
Try Dropbox for FREE.
FileCloud is one of the best alternatives to Citrix ShareFile not only because it is a strong contender when it comes to its focus on security, reliability, ease of use, and accessibility, but also because it does it at a lower cost to the user. Although primarily a cloud service, this solution can also be self-hosted on-premises for more secure and seamless access to files and data.
Some more features include:
- FileCloud is an easy-to-use solution that can be implemented in any network setting and can integrate seamlessly without the need for changes or any other additional costs.
- It fits into any architecture as it can be run on-premises, in the cloud, or in a hybrid installation which means the whole business can access it regardless of distance and location.
- This is the ideal solution for businesses looking for a file repository that comes with team folders, server-syncing capabilities, secure sharing, and collaboration.
- User control includes allowing or denying access to folders and assigning password-protected permissions or restrictions at the user and group levels. Sharing large files externally with clients and vendors is also secure and easy.
- FileCloud supports platforms like AWS S3, Azure Blob, Wasabi, EMC ECS, and other similar storage services.
- It also has advanced security features like Single Sign-On (SSO) to prevent unauthorized access, heuristic scanning to detect and stop ransomware, as well automatic scanning of files as they are being uploaded which are then fully encrypted while at rest and pass through encrypted channels as they are being transported.
Try FileCloud – FREE for 30 days.
Zoho WorkDrive is a product that comes from a company that is a major player in the business tool market. This is an online file storage solution for syncing and collaboration. It can be used in small businesses and large enterprises alike.
Some more features include:
- It caters to individual users as well as groups – and regardless of size or the distance between them – all users can work together securely; they avoid confusion and overwriting by tracking edits and either accepting or rejecting the changes that have been made.
- Completed files can be published to various platforms like web pages and blogs – Zoho integrates with WordPress for direct writing-to-publishing capability.
- All documents are automatically synchronized – in real-time – to ensure issues don’t arise due to latency; users can easily transfer files between their desktop and cloud folders by simply drag-and-dropping them. In case there is an interruption in the connection, the files will automatically synchronize immediately after it is up again.
- Features like the ability to perform searches, working in shared workspaces, real-time notifications, drafting, versioning, and analytics are just some of the tools that make it easy to keep track of all the work that is being done by each member of the team.
- Additional features like access controls and permission management coupled with audit trails, electronic signatures, and encryption allow for secure and unencumbered collaboration.
- This tool also comes with its office productivity suite for team members to work with it – Zoho Office Suite includes applications like Zoho Writer for documentation, Zoho Sheet for spreadsheets, and Zoho Show for presentations.
- There are customizable reports, charts, and tables that present data in an easily consumable way to show if there are any data inconsistencies, file duplications, or any other missing values to make sure everyone is on the same page when it comes to the current state of affairs.
- Teams can share as many files as they want – all they need to do is generate links for the files – and then create, edit, and comment on the files in real-time, with anyone who has the link to it; they can even chat in real-time.
- Zoho WorkDrive supports web-based, iPhone app, and Android app platforms making it a versatile solution for any business or enterprise.
While its most endearing feature is that it is a cost-effective solution, it also comes with many more features that make it one of the best file-sharing solutions.
Try Zoho WorkDrive for FREE.
Google Drive for Work is a product that also comes from one of the biggest tech companies on the planet.
Some more features include:
- Users can store any type of file – documents, media files, and anything else – and then access them using any connected device like a smartphone, tablet, or computer.
- Google Drive files and data are stored in Google’s own secure data centers. This means users can expect quality service, high uptimes, and incomparable security when it comes to working with their files.
- Another great thing that makes this one of the best file-sharing solutions is that it is the native storage solution for productivity tools that are included in Google Workspace – Google Docs, Google Sheets, Gmail, and all the other tools.
- All that is required is a link to the document and anyone with the link – and the right permission to just view or edit it – can start collaborating.
- In-document chatting means everyone can watch as changes are being made and even discuss them using the visual, audio, and text interfaces.
- Google’s search capability is shown in the fact that it can even recognize objects in texts, images, and scanned documents – making it easy for anyone to find what they are looking for.
- Anyone using Google Chromebooks has the option of automatically having their files and photos backed up – scheduled jobs run and push the files into the cloud for safekeeping and global access. Of course, all files can also be made available offline – for when there is no internet connection.
The winning feature of this tool would be that since it is so popular, all its interfaces and user interfaces (UIs) are very familiar – which leads to swift mastery by its users.
Try Drive for Work for FREE.
Egnyte is an enterprise file sharing and collaboration tool that allows its users to securely access, share, and collaborate on documents and data.
Some more features include:
- Egnyte comes with a centralized control panel to manage and visualize content stored on-premises, on an app, or in the cloud; it allows for the seamless collaboration on, and management of, large volumes of data with ease and without putting anyone at risk.
- While the solution offers centralized control and protection files users can get access to their content and still be covered – regardless of where they are located; it has tools for administrators and management to allow users to decide where business data resides while still maintaining end-to-end protection of files and data.
- Dashboards allow for the centralized control and monitoring of all content across the whole architecture or stack – on-premises, on apps, or in the cloud. Users have full insight into usage patterns and user behavior with the help of system-wide analytics
- It can even detect malicious content like ransomware and files showing any other abnormal behavior thanks to its Content Intelligence Engine which is powered by Machine Learning (ML).
- It easily integrates with applications like MS Office 365, Google Workspace, Slack, and many more productivity solutions for effective collaboration.
This tool is capable of leveraging on-premises or cloud storage combined with security, scalability, as well control of stored private and shared files.
Try Egnyte – FREE for 15 days.
Make secure collaboration a part of your business
Businesses that seek to increase secure collaboration between their employees can take advantage of the seven best Citrix ShareFile alternatives we have just seen.
Business processes don’t need to be interrupted because the employees aren’t in the office. Distance isn’t a mitigating factor anymore – after all, words and phrases like “remote” and “work from home” have become a part of the modern office setup. And this makes these tools integral for any modern business’ process both today and in the future.
We would like to hear your thoughts – leave us a comment below.